The Canberra Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange.

4 posters

Go down

[Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange. Empty [Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange.

Post by Lemon Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:59 pm

The closure of the Belconnen bus interchange is causing trouble for elderly public transport users as they battle cold weather and a lack of facilities.
The depot was closed on May 25 this year as part of a multimillion-dollar redevelopment of the Belconnen Town Centre. It is expected to reopen in 2011.

Margaret Brookes, 72, said even though the buses arrived at shorter intervals, standing was uncomfortable.

''I have to take the bus because I can't drive. I need a little rest after I've walked to the bus stop so, no, I'm not pleased about the situation,'' Mrs Brookes said.

The temporary set-up includes a permanent station on Cohen Street and two temporary stations on Lathlain Street and Cameron Avenue.

Opposition transport spokesman Alistair Coe said the temporary bus stops needed shelter and seating.

''There is a complete shortage of signage, seating and shelter ... if you're going to get people to use the network and use Belconnen bus interchange you have have to have basic amenity, and if you don't have that in place it's going to be very hard for people to take up public transport,'' Mr Coe said.
Canberra Times
Lemon
Lemon
Webmaster
Webmaster

Power Level (Points) : 184

https://canberraforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

[Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange. Empty Re: [Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange.

Post by M@ Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:14 pm

I love the mistake...saying that the depot closed earlier this year.

M@
Global Moderator

Power Level (Points) : 9

Back to top Go down

[Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange. Empty Re: [Canberra Times] Bus Passengers left in Cold at temporary interchange.

Post by Lemon Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 pm

I know, they really know what they are talking about...
Lemon
Lemon
Webmaster
Webmaster

Power Level (Points) : 184

https://canberraforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xman0444 Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Yeah, I saw that.

But fair enough. It can get pretty cold outside, I know from experience. There should be better facilities availiable.
xman0444
xman0444
Admin
Admin

Power Level (Points) : 158

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokajisan Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 pm

The interchange replacements are pathetic! I hope ACTION do something about this, particularly the Cohen St station (the only permanent one).

Tokajisan
Posts Regularly
Posts Regularly

Power Level (Points) : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down